The Department of Physical Therapy at the University of Florida participates in the Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (PTCAS). Applicants must meet all university, college and program requirements to be considered for admission. The admission deadline is November 1st of the year prior to your entry term. Applications are accepted once a year and admitted students begin the program in the fall semester.
The following are minimum requirements for entry into the DPT program:
- Baccalaureate degree in any discipline from an accredited college or university. Degree needs to be completed prior to entering the program but is not required to be complete at the time of application
- A minimum score of 146 on the verbal portion of the GRE, 144 on the quantitative portion and 3.5 on the analytical writing portion for GRE test. Scores must be sent to code 7731.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale) for undergraduate college-level coursework completed in any semesters after attainment of 60 semester credit hours (in effect, your GPA for your junior and senior years)
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale) for the average of all prerequisite courses
- Three letters of reference with PTCAS recommendation forms:
- One from someone practicing in the field of physical therapy
- One from someone who can speak to your academic ability
- One from someone who can speak to your character
- A minimum of 40 hours of observation in at least 3 different types of physical therapy settings (a minimum of 10 hours must be completed in each setting type), including at least one orthopedic setting, one neurological setting, and one specialty area, such as pediatrics, sports, geriatrics, acute care, etc. Applicants may fulfill a maximum of two required observation settings at one facility. The specific number of hours completed in each setting must be distinctly documented in PTCAS so the number of hours observed in each setting type is evident.
- Applications for the 2020-2021 admission cycle will be accepted without the minimum 40 hours of observation documented with the expectation that all observation hours will be completed with appropriate documentation by program start if accepted.
Applicants who self-submit uploaded observation forms must include the following information. Forms without this information will not be accepted by the program.
- Total number of hours completed
- Signature and license information of the PT shadowed
- Type and setting of PT observed
All required hours must be completed and verified through PTCAS by the application deadline.
Additional Requirements for International Students
- Minimum of 550 on the paper-based or 80 on the Internet-based version of the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) for all international students or a minimum score of 6 on the IELTS (the International Language Testing System).
- International students with transcripts from foreign institutions of higher education must also submit a foreign credentials evaluation available through Josef Silny & Associates or World Education Services. The transcript must be translated into English and a course-by-course evaluation must be completed.