The Department of Physical Therapy at the University of Florida participates in the Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (PTCAS). Applicants must meet all university, college and program requirements to be considered for admission. The admission deadline is November 1st of the year prior to your entry term. Applications are accepted once a year and admitted students begin the program in the fall semester.
Changes to admission criteria for the 2021-2022 application cycle are in bold. Continue to monitor the COVID-19 DPT Application Update page for changes.
The following are minimum requirements for entry into the DPT program:
- Baccalaureate degree in any discipline from an accredited college or university. Degree needs to be completed prior to entering the program but is not required to be complete at the time of application
- All three sections (verbal, quantitative, analytical) of the GRE general test are required. No minimum scores are required. Scores must be sent to code 7731.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale) for the average of all prerequisite courses. No additional minimum GPAs requirements.
- Three letters of reference with PTCAS recommendation forms:
- One from someone practicing in the field of physical therapy
- One from someone who can speak to your academic ability
- One from a reference of your choice and is selected at your discretion. Recommendations from family members will not be accepted
- A minimum of 40 hours of observation of at least 3 different types of physical therapy, including at least 10 hours of orthopedic PT, 10 hours of neurological PT, and 10 hours of a specialty area, such as pediatrics, sports, geriatrics, acute care, etc. Applicants may fulfill a maximum of two required observation types at one facility. The specific number of hours completed in each facility must be distinctly documented in PTCAS so the number of hours observed of each PT type is evident.
- Applicants who self-submit uploaded observation forms must include the following information. Forms without this information will not be accepted by the program.
- Total number of hours completed
- Signature and license information of the PT shadowed
- Type and setting of PT observed
- Completion of a UF specific admission essay with the following prompt;
- What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would make you a better applicant than someone with similar academic qualifications? Many applicants have work experience or observation hours in physical therapy facilities. Different from your PTCAS essay, reflect and share how you can be distinguished from other applicants with similar academic qualification.
All required hours must be completed and verified through PTCAS by the application deadline.
Additional Requirements for International Students
- Minimum of 550 on the paper-based or 80 on the Internet-based version of the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) for all international students or a minimum score of 6 on the IELTS (the International Language Testing System).
- International students with transcripts from foreign institutions of higher education must also submit a foreign credentials evaluation available through Josef Silny & Associates or World Education Services. The transcript must be translated into English and a course-by-course evaluation must be completed.