Shane Mathew slated for President of APTA Student Board of Directors

UF DPT Student Shane Mathew (Class of 2023) is slated for national office with the American Physical Therapy Association student division. Starting November 1-30, APTA student members can vote Shane Mathew for President of the APTA Student Board of Directors.

Shane Mathew for APTA Student Board President

Shane’s life’s work has been rooted in service. His first exposure to the PT profession was while volunteering for his local Veterans Affairs clinic in high school. He knew early on that his passion for leading and learning came directly from the small victories gained from helping others. Physical Therapy school allowed him to re-ignite and refine that same passion through new avenues. From serving as Administrative Director for the Equal Access Physical Therapy Clinic to serving on the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee, and representing the program and university through National Academies, Shane has strengthened his resolve to create more opportunities for students to discover their talents and carve new avenues of their own.

Shane hopes that the Office of President of the American Physical Therapy Association Student Board of Directors will allow him to attend directly to the needs of PT students across the country. His goal in serving in this role, the small victories that are yet to be obtained will be those that will advance the profession forward, allowing future PT professionals to carry the torch forward.

A Message from Shane

As President, my highest goal will be to help my peers in PT and PTA programs across the country feel seen, heard, and respected. I hope to use my strengths in restoration, strategy, individualization, development, and connectedness to foster an environment of collaboration and progress for students across our professions.

Our community is responsible for improving the human experience, but like any other, it comes with setbacks of its own. I have experienced firsthand how deep prejudice and stereotypes run in our personal, professional, and academic worlds. I have also experienced and bore witness to the frustration of student burnout, and the stress of wondering how I will be able to succeed after graduation with overwhelming student debt. I would like to work with my peers and colleagues across our professions to develop a progress-based agenda rooted in advancing diversity and inclusion initiatives, combating student burnout, and ensuring that students have access to favorable opportunities in their professional lives.

I will hold myself to my motto of “responsibility through accountability” and I promise to hear and address the needs of my peers and be a voice for the growing community of our nation’s future rehabilitation professionals – ultimately pushing our profession forward. With the insight provided by the students themselves and the Student Board of Directors, I aim to create new opportunities that pave the way forward for the future PTs and PTAs of our country. Thank you for your vote.

Elections for the Student Board of Directors will open November 1 – 30. Any APTA student member can vote. Please visit www.apta.org for more information.