Courtney Hersch, DPT President of Class of 2022, is Awarded the Frederick Family Scholarship

The Department of Physical Therapy would like to congratulate Courtney Hersch on receiving the Frederick Family Scholarship! Bill and Mary Ann Frederick established the Frederick Family Scholarship in Physical Therapy to endow scholarships for students in the physical therapy department. The student is nominated by peers during the spring semester and is chosen based on the following criterion: treating others with positive regard, dignity, and respect, dependability when given responsibility by peers and faculty, and showing good judgment in decisions particularly those that have an impact on peers.

Courtney Hersch, DPT President of Class of 2022

Courtney Hersch

What does winning this scholarship mean to you?

While the scholarship is an individual award, I credit this to my fellow officers of the Class of 2022 Rachel Castor, Amy Hope, and Ally Marcy, my class, as well as the University of Florida DPT faculty. Everyone had to come through during a difficult time dealing with the COVID fallout and the effect that it had on our learning experience. The faculty had to adjust schedules and curriculum. The students had to adjust to a different way of learning, which is very difficult given the hands-on aspect of physical therapy training. I’m proud of how everyone adapted and I’m happy that I played an important role in helping us all achieve our goals.

What would you like to say to the donors of this scholarship?

First, I want to thank them for their generosity. It is evident how important the UF DPT program is to them given their commitment to giving back to DPT students. I am humbled to be the person chosen as the recipient, but I could not be where I am without the help of my family, friends, fellow classmates, and the UF DPT faculty. The recognition and this scholarship motivates me to do my best to represent the UF DPT program in my career. I hope to one day be able to pay it forward for future students! Again, thanks so much to the Frederick family!