Puwol receives Kuhns Scholarship

The Clinical Education team announced Noella Puwol as the Kuhns Scholarship recipient.
Pictured from the left: Bill McGehee, P.T., Ph.D., professor and director of Physical Therapy Education, Judi Schack-Dugré, P.T., MBA, DPT, clinical assistant professor and assistant director of Clinical Education, Noella Puwol and Kevin McPherson, P.T., DPT, MTC, OCS, FAAOMPT, clinical lecturer and assistant director of Clinical Education.

It was a happy Friday on June 1 for Noella Puwol as the Clinical Education team announced her as the Kuhns Scholarship recipient.

“Noella was one of six finalists for the award based on the ratings from their performance on the first eight-week clinical experience,” said Bill McGehee, P.T., Ph.D., director of the Physical Therapy Education team. “She demonstrated exceptional performance that far exceeded the expectations for a student on the first full-time clinical experience.”

The Kuhns Scholarship is a $1,500 award presented to a student who demonstrates outstanding performance in their first full-time clinical internship, thus showing promise as a future clinician of excellence.

Thanks to Rolf and Anne Kuhns’ generous support through the years to the College of Public Health and Health Professions and Department of Physical Therapy, students like Puwol can receive the recognition that encourages them to become forward-thinking clinical learners. A recent contribution on behalf of the Kuhns was the support to the Equal Access Clinic, UF’s student-run PT clinic, allowing us to provide continuous service to the community while offering our students valuable patient experience.

The Clinical Education team announced Noella Puwol as the Kuhns Scholarship recipient. “I was pleasantly surprised when it was announced that I was receiving the Kuhns Scholarship,” said Puwol, a second-year DPT student. “I am certain that all the students in my class are also deserving of it considering the hard work we all have put into getting the best experience possible out of our first clinical rotation. So I am very honored to have been chosen.”

Puwol completed her first internship at CORA Physical Therapy in Tavares, Florida, and there she was exposed to orthopedic and neurological populations ranging from pediatric to geriatric patients.

“At first it was nerve-wracking seeing as how it was my first clinical rotation, but I quickly realized my potential as not “just” a student but as a healthcare provider who had the power to make a difference in my patients’ lives,” Puwol said. “I’m excited about my next clinical internship because it is in an acute care setting. I look forward to the new challenges and learning opportunities this site has to offer.”